The park is currently: CLOSED 

CDA Meeting Minutes: 04/24/2019

Chelmsford Dog Association

Meeting Minutes

Community Room, Chelmsford Police Station, 2 Olde North Rd, Chelmsford, MA 01824

April 24, 2019  6:30 PM

  1. Call to order: 6:33pm
  2. Roll call:
    • Board members present: Will, Joyce, Kathy, Sarah, Vivian, Paul
    • Voting members present: Lauren, Carley, Jay, and Randi
    • Guests: None
  3. Approval of minutes from last meeting- Motion to approve minutes from the March 26th 2019 meeting:
    • Presented by: Joyce
    • Seconded: Kathy
    • Vote: Unanimous
  4. Officer Reports
    • Website and Media Report (Will)
      1. CDP Group: 2,493 (2,172 active ) – (329) (1264) (5954)  
      2. CDP FB Page:    
      3. CDA FB Page:    
      4. Location: 8 (39)  4.7 (105)     3.8 (4)
      5. CDA Website: 286077 total visitors, (Apr) 3,648 Visitors 5,545 Reads
      6. Chelmsford Telemedia
    • Treasurer’s Report (Sandra)- Tabled
      1. 2019 Planned Budget
    • President’s Report (Will)
      1. CDA Memberships: 39 Ind / 33 Fam
  5. Committee Reports
    • DPAC- Waiting on soil test results to move forward with that project, Vivian working on the grant application.
      1. Gazebo (& fence work) (date?)- DPW plowing the pumping station has bowed the fence in the agility area. As a result there is a large gap in the fence. Agility area fencing is original fencing and does not have bottom bar to keep sturdy. Also fencing contractor did no install bottom bar along air lock fence into agility area. Fence is also over an irrigation head.
      2. Green lawn turned on irrigation in the past week.
      3. Trees (?)- Dependent upon soil test results.
      4. Kohl Landscaping quotes on drains and cleaning/regrading front section -The front of the park is to be graded by the DPW to slope towards the street- drains to be put in- which will drain into culvert. Quote obtained to install three drains in other problematic areas of park (front corner of agility area, front of park near former rain garden, and near bench by exit of all dog side). Drains in next years’ grant? Quote for 3 drainage installations: $5,000.
      5. Lauren mentions why not have fundraising effort to raise the money for drainage. Kathy and Joyce will look into setting up campaign on Facebook. Will to add “button” on website.
    • Fundraising/Events Committee Report
      1. Donations from park boxes: $ from all dog side, $14 from small dog side. ($ total) / Also $ donation/ 1 membership renewal.
      2. Pennies for Puppies- $
      3. June Event (10th anniversary party)
        1. Vendor invite sent- Two responses so far– Mary Kay, Lowell Humane Society
        2. Notice posted on site and in Newsletter
        3. Food Purchase- Have frozen hot dogs and hamburgers, as well as condiments and soda. Will need to purchase water, bread buns, and chips.
        4. Food Permit (BoH)- Joyce to contact Board Of Health for food permit.
        5. DJ?- Paul to approach Randy.
        6. Grill?- Kathy to look into.
        7. Port-a-Potty: Needed for event- if able to get a cheaper deal for a 6 month rental- perhaps plan to keep Port-a-potty at the park. Park will have to have a handicap accessible port-a-potty (higher cost) as we are a handicap accessable facility. Sarah to reach out to CDA member with knowledge of port-a-potty rentals.
      4. 3rd of July ($ & registration due ASAP)- Variety of volunteers for shifts. Joyce and Kathy to drive BMW with dogs for the 4th July parade.
      5. Kathy mentions Lowell Gay Pride Parade in June?
      6. Farm Fair (Sept 21st)- Danielle, Sarah, and Kathy will do.
      7. Paul- fundraising idea: 5k walkathon- 1/10 mile = 1 loop around all dog side/ minimum donation= $25. Prizes for top donors? Gift cards, free membership/ or sign up also gets a free membership?
      8. Agility area fundraising idea: Dog Carnival? – Idea tabled for next meeting in May for further discussion.
    • Educational/Seminars (Will)
      1. Recognizing Dog Behavior (April – successful. Good response) As many as 22 people watching live on Facebook at a time.
      2. Service, Therapy & Support Dogs (May 13)
      3. Caring for your Senior Pet (June 17)
  6. Old Business/Open Issues
    • Water turned on, Irrigation reset for Spring ($450 to be paid to Greenlawn) Paul asks if we can decide which zones are used as there seems to areas of dirt that don’t need water. Per Will, yes, zones can be decided, but are not consistent in layout.
    • Printed Bricks (phase two) to be installed in entry way by Matt Kohl (Kohl Landscaping) $500
    • Middlesex Sheriff’s Office Community Work Program (June 6 & 7)- Park will be closed during labor and the night of the 6th if tools/materials left out/project unfinished.
      1. Sand strip/digging pit
      2. Small tires (move to small dog side)
      3. Large tires (put in main dog area)
    • Spring Work Party:
      1. Fill potholes, entrances & fence edging with RAP
      2. Move parking blocks back
      3. Kiosk for Small Dog side (purchased, delivered)- includes putting concrete in
      4. Flagpole (donated, delivered)- small dog side to the left of the outlet near front
      5. Replacement gate locks & hinges (purchased, delivered)
      6. Clear brush & trash from front area- Can also be a town clean-up day activity.
      7. Mesh grounding to be applied- Rototilled first.
  7. New business- Billerica dog park opens June 1st/ Banning process to be further discussed for CDP/ Claim made with Lowe’s to replace the weed whacker that failed in under 6 months. Previous Hannaford bags fundraiser raised $28
    • Next Meetings: May 14th, June 19th , July 25th
    • Adjournment: Motion to adjourn by Sarah 8:37pm

Comments are closed.